January 31st marks a special day on the calendar: National Inspire Your Heart With Art Day. It’s a celebration of artistic expression and the profound impact it can have on our hearts and minds. For parents, it’s an opportunity to foster creativity in their children and instill a lifelong appreciation for the arts. Here, we’ll explore the significance of this day and provide practical tips to enjoy the day.
Why Celebrate Inspire Your Heart With Art Day?
Art has a unique ability to inspire, uplift, and bring joy. National “Inspire Your Heart With Art” Day encourages individuals, young and old, to explore the world of art in all its forms – from visual arts like painting and drawing, to performing arts like music and dance, to literary arts like poetry and fiction.
Fast Facts: Making the Case for Art Education
For children, engaging in artistic activities is not only fun but also essential for their cognitive development, fostering creativity, imagination, and self-expression. But don’t just take our word for it.
Consider some of the latest research, which found:
- SAT scores were 98 points higher for students taking four years of arts education.
- K-8 students in art program schools performed 23% better in math and 12% better in reading.
- Students with low socioeconomic status were 5x less likely to dropout when they took art.
- Increasing art education decreased disciplinary infractions by 3.6 percentage points.
- Kids involved in music, drawing, painting, reading, and creating had 16-22% higher self-esteem.
- Adults who studied music as children had greater hippocampus connectivity and neuroplasticity.
Through art, children create mental images, express themselves, make judgments, take risks, and work through frustration by flexing perseverance—all critical life skills.
Practical Tips for Parents to Celebrate with Kids
- Create an Artistic Space at Home: Designate a corner or table at home as an artistic space where kids can unleash their creativity. Stock various art supplies like paper, paint, markers, colored pencils, how-to drawing books, and various craft materials—and let imaginations run wild.
- Family Art Session: Pick a theme, and set aside time for a family art session. It could be a collaborative mural, individual paintings, or even a mini family art exhibition.
- Explore Different Art Forms: Introduce your children to various art forms to broaden their perspective and enhance their appreciation for creativity. You might watch a dance performance online, listen to different genres of music, or discuss illustrations in a book on art history.
- Visit Virtual Art Exhibitions: Many cultural institutions offer virtual tours, allowing kids to explore famous artworks and discover new artists from the comfort of their homes. Or we recommend visiting one of the many art museums or galleries in the Hamptons.
- Artistic Games and Challenges: Organize art-related games or challenges like a timed drawing competition, drawing a portrait with your eyes closed, scavenger hunt for art supplies, or a game where your family recreates famous artworks and tries to guess what everybody made.
Shine: Nurturing Creativity Through Art, Music, Sports, Culinary, and Cultural Activities
At Shine, we understand the profound impact of art on a child’s development. Our camps and activities are designed to provide a vibrant and enriching environment where kids can explore their artistic passions. From crafting to music to culinary creations, Shine offers a diverse range of programs that inspire creativity and foster a life-long love of learning.
To celebrate National Inspire Your Heart With Art Day, consider visiting the Shine Studio in New York’s East End to provide your child with opportunities to shine bright through artistic expression and creative exploration. Visit our website to learn more about our upcoming camps and activities – where every day is a celebration of inspiration and creativity.