August is halfway over and the school year is just around the corner. Before we all get back into the grind there are still a few more weeks left to enjoy the pleasures of summer. August 14 is National Creamsicle Day and what better pleasure than this American treat!? Here, chef and Shine nutrition specialist, Katie Letts, shares her recipe for creamsicle cubes.
Enjoy the remainder of the summer shine –
Aaron Goldschmidt, founder & director
In celebration of National Creamsicle Day, try making these tasty frozen treats with your little one. They’re great in a cold glass of root beer, or simply enjoyed by themselves!
(Makes 14 cubes)
- 1 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup sugar
You’ll also need:
- Medium-sized metal mixing bowl, cold
- Hand mixer (or hand whisk)
- Rubber spatula
- Ice cube tray
- Fill each cube section of the ice cube tray halfway with orange juice. Place the tray in your freezer until the juice is at least partially frozen.
- Using your hand mixer and the metal bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add in the vanilla and sugar, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. You should be able to turn the bowl upside down without the cream falling out.
- Using a rubber spatula, fill the remaining half of each ice cube section within the ice cube tray with your whipped cream, smoothing the top of each cube. Place the tray back in the freezer for at least an hour, or until the cubes have completely frozen. Enjoy!
By Katie Letts, Shine Nutrition Specialist